Day in history for December 3, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois is our first choice for the presidency in 1852.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Morris Rosenfield was elected Worshipful Master of Rock Island Lodge, No. 658, A.F. And A.M.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Congress was asked for $758,220 for the Illinois-Mississippi Canal and $135,000 for a new hospital building at the Arsenal.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- William R. Wells announced plans for construction of a $55,000 16-unit apartment house at 4th Avenue and 11th Street, Rock Island.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island chamber of commerce has invited Milan to become part of the city of Rock Island if and when the Milan school district is consolidated with the Rock Island public school system. ``It is the chamber's belief that any consolidation of the two school districts should not take place until Milan itself is a part of Rock Island,'' said Gerald H. Falder, president of the Rock Island chamber.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Quad-City Airport officials can live with paying 25 percent more for water than in-city customers, but Moline officials say they can't. The city has been asking the airport to pay 63 percent more than residents, but airport officials have said nothing above the 25 percent surcharge is acceptable. City officials have said the 63 percent surcharge would enable the city to make an 11 percent profit, which is comparable to private utilities.
Back: Available days in December 2001