Day in history for December 21, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- A Rock Island city council committee has rented the front room over the store of Mr. Whitaker at $50 a year for council meetings.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island city council has ordered 50 naptha lamps to light portions of the city where there are no gas mains.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- School and college students began a 2-week Christmas vacation.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Naval Reserve Unit filled its enlistment quota of 30 recruits.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Emma C. Thompson, Rock Island, has been named winner of an electric mixer in a $50,000 contest sponsored recently by Spiegel, Inc., Chicago, for its catalog customers. Mrs. Anna L. Baldwin of Davenport also was among the winners. She was awarded $250 in Spiegel merchandise.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- As the rifle volleys of hunters echoed through area woodlands this weekend, other sportsmen quietly were stalking their prey with binoculars and notebooks. Members of the Henry-Mercer County Audubon Society were out in force keeping an eye out, and a count of, their feathered friends as part of the national organization's annual Christmas bird count. This was the first year a count was conducted in Henry County, although club members have assisted in counts in Mercer County and the twice-yearly eagle counts near the Quad-Cities.
Back: Available days in December 2001