Day in history for December 19, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island city council will apply to the county court for a charter for a ferry from Rock Island to Davenport.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Fifteen sleighs run between Rock Island and Davenport over the river.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Professor E.F. Bartholomew of Augustana College was elected president of the International Society of Pianoforte Teachers and Players.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Oscar J. Ohlweiler was reelected president of the Rock Island Boy Scout Council.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Not even a sidewalk is safe for a pedestrian on the basis of an unusual mishap reported to Rock Island police. William Fort, 9, was waiting on a sidewalk at 7th Street and 11th Avenue for a coal truck to pass. As the truck went by, a loose chain on the truck's tail gate whipped out and struck the boy. He incurred a black eye and a bump on the left side of his head.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Several area officials want to build a $200,000 emergency radio center in Rock Island to replace one recently constructed and equipped at Indian Bluff Forest Preserve. The proposed center would handle emergency communications for the city of Rock Island, Milan and Rock Island County. If the new plan is carried out, the Indian Bluff Center would be left to fill the low volume radio needs of the county's Civil Defense unit.
Back: Available days in December 2001