Day in history for December 15, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- J.W. Denison will open an evening grammar school for young ladies and gentlemen.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The Tilden Reform Club of Rock Island reorganized at a meeting in Hillier's Hall.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The temperature dropped 40 degrees in 24 hours to 7 degrees below zero.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Garnet Productions of Rock Island planned to make motion picture comedies with casts of Quad-Cities persons.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Fluoridation of Moline's water supply as a tooth-decay preventive was approved by the city council and, finances permitting, will become an actual fact within the next six months. Aldermen acted officially on the subject after hearing a recommendation from Dr. W.H. Otis, city physician, during a committee-of-the-whole meeting preceding the regular council session.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Within a few weeks, a Moline man, Dan Wahlheim, will be the owner of an $18,000 specially-designed van. Wahlheim won the van in a contest sponsored by Coca-Cola. Wahlheim said he entered the contest last September and had almost forgotten about it. Then Tuesday night, his phone rang, and he was informed that he was a winner. Wahlheim is one of 10 van winners throughout the country in the national contest. The vans were designed especially for the contest winners and will not be available on the market.
Back: Available days in December 2001