Day in history for December 12, 2001

1851 -- 150 years ago
R. Wilkison was re-elected Rock Island city clerk and B.J. Cobb city marshal for the ensuing year.

1876 -- 125 years ago
Anawalt, Denkmann and Company's sawmill, destroyed by fire in August, has been rebuilt.

1901 -- 100 years ago
Incorporation papers were issued to the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Order of St. Francis, operators of St. Anthony's Hospital.

1926 -- 75 years ago
Rock Island High School took second place in the boys' Big Nine declamatory contest.

1951 -- 50 years ago
Seems like the Christmas season just doesn't have any effect on some people. Jeff Muley, 408 44th St., told Moline police that a thief stole a string of 15 Christmas lights from his outdoor display. The $3 value of the lights was insignificant in comparison to Mr. Muley's indignation over the character of the thief.

1976 -- 25 years ago
The price of Henry County farmland soared to record levels with the purchase of a 209-acre farm east of Woodhull for an average $3,348 per acre. Maurice DeSutter Jr. of rural Woodhull paid a total of $669,905 for the acreage, formerly owned by the Frances Murphy and Bernadine Welch estate. The weekend sale continues a trend that began three years ago, when farmland prices began spiraling dramatically along with rising crop prices.

Back: Available days in December 2001



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)