Day in history for December 11, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island Brass Band will play at the public exhibition of the Rock Island Collegiate Institute and Female Seminary.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The ice in Sylvan Slough is 10 inches thick, while in the river it is in many places more than 15 inches, though pure and clear as crystal.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Repairs on the waterworks intake pipe have been completed at a cost of $4,500.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Ivan Fahay and Harry Giles were awarded silver medals for heroism at the ninth annual meeting of the Rock Island Boy Scout Council.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island School Board rejected a petition for annexation of the Milan School District, stressing building needs and economic factors within its own system as the primary reasons.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- In June 1949 pretty Joline Schieberl was crowned the first Miss Moline in a pageant sponsored by Moline Jaycees at Wharton Field House. The title led to all sorts of interesting activities for the attractive young Moliner. The Stage Door is Joline's latest venture. It is located across from the Moline Library and will specialize in costumes, dance and theatrical supplies. Joline, who is Mrs. Donald Henss in private life, started to dance almost as soon as she could walk, and by the time she was 18 she had her own dance studio with more than 200 students.
Back: Available days in December 2001