Day in history for November 9, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- Delegates at Burlington demanded the removal of obstructions to navigation in the Rock Island and the Keokuk rapids.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- A $7,000 disaster occurred on the upper rapids when one of the barges of the Minneapolis struck a rock and sank.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- H.W. Horst contracted with the D.R.I. And N.W. Railway to remodel the freight house at the foot of 17th St., Rock Island.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The American Railway Express Company announced inauguration of an air express line serving the Quad-Cities.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Because of a change in television program schedules, Mrs. Lester Miller, Rock Island, was able to see the marriage of her nephew, Gene Gordon, and Vera M. Burris, on the Bride and Groom program telecast by WHBF-TV. Bride and Groom, originating in New York, will be carried by the station on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County has become one of the Soviet Union's top targets in the event of nuclear war with the United States, defense strategists say. ``This is now designated a target area because of the industry, the Quad-City Nuclear Power Station, the Rock Island Arsenal and the munitions stored around the county,'' according to County Civil Defense Director Don Bobb. Bobb said the list indicates the Quad-City area would be the Soviet's fifth target in Illinois.
Back: Available days in November 2001