Day in history for November 4, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Our new Rock River bridge will soon be completed. Mayor Wheelock drives over there nearly every day to watch the progress of the work. He thinks we are getting a No. 1 piece of bridge building done there.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Chris Mueller And Sons are to rebuild their saw mill destroyed by fire in Davenport last week.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Rudolph W. Kropp of Coal Valley was appointed Rock Island County deputy sheriff.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- William R. Klingberg, Moline, may be the champion commercial airline traveler in these parts. He has covered 200,000 miles by plane in the last four years, and is a member of two exclusive clubs made up of veteran air travelers. This week he received a plaque from American Air Lines making him a member of the Admiral's Club of that firm, and he already has one from United Air Lines 100,000 Mile Club, with two stars, one for each 100,000 miles.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- It would be hard to find anyone more delighted about this morning's snowfall than forecaster Roger Wolken. The one-tenth inch or so of fluffy white stuff means he was right. Wolken says ``it was somewhere in the mid- to late-summer'' when friends at the Quad-Cities Airport, where he works for the National Weather Service, jokingly asked when the first snowfall would be. ``I said it would be Nov. 4, and by golly, here it is,'' Wolken chuckles with undisguised delight.
Back: Available days in November 2001