Day in history for November 29, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- The Rev. J.W. Denison is principal of the Rock Island Collegiate Institute and Female Seminary.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- About 300 bushels of coal are mined every day at Bailey Davenport's coal banks at South Rock Island.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- John S. Corbin, 83, resident of Rock Island County since 1840, died.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Three Rock Island locations have been leased by the Consumers Wholesale Supply Company, Minneapolis, for establishment of retail grocery stores.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- A Moline engineering executive has been appointed an honorary member of the Illinois Association of School Boards. He's Earl H. Beling, 3428 13th St., Moline, who is one of five persons throughout the state to receive such an appointment. Beling is a former president of the Moline board of education.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Linda Coffing of Moline can add the American Jurisprudence Volume on estate law to her legal bookshelf after her top performance in estate and trust law classes at Southern Illinois University law school in Carbondale. The volume was presented to Coffing by Hiram Lesar, dean of the Southern law school, for the Lawyers Co-Op Publishing Co., which annually honors top law students. Coffing, a Law Review honor student, has been working while in law school for the state's attorney's office in Murphysboro.
Back: Available days in November 2001