Day in history for November 27, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- The census of the state of Illinois showed a total population of 851,470.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The Kellerstrass and the Streckfus buildings in Rock Island have been completed at costs of $12,000 and $8,000, respectively.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Lumber Company will erect offices and warehouses at 5th Avenue and 27th Street.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Moline defeated Rock Island High School, 13-7, at Douglas Park.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Discussion of the proposed annexation of the Milan school district is slated for the next meeting of the Rock Island board of education Tuesday night, Dec. 11, in the wake of a chamber of commerce recommendation that favorable action be taken in the matter. Earl H. Hanson, superintendent of schools, said he has invited E.S. Metcalf, county superintendent of schools, to attend.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island's more than $1.9 million new three-level parking building across from the City Hall had its grand opening at 9 a.m. with a brief ceremony in front of the impressive structure. Mayor James H. Haymaker served as master of ceremonies. Santa Claus arrived on a Rock Island Fire Department truck after the ribbon-cutting ritual to formally open the Christmas shopping season. Free parking was afforded today and will be again tomorrow in the 566-space building.
Back: Available days in November 2001