Day in history for November 26, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- Appropriations for the improvement of the Mississippi River must claim the immediate attention of Congress.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The city bridge at South Rock Island is completed.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Tim O'Rourke is the first player secured by Manager Frank Donnelly for the 1902 Rock Island team in the Three-I Baseball League.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Harry H. Hoben of Rock Island was elected secretary of the newly formed Mississippi Valley Funeral Director's Association.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport will receive a new television channel, permitting the operation of a second station in that city in addition to the present WOC-TV. Davenport radio station KSTT hopes to secure the TV assignment. Moline radio station WQUA hopes to receive a TV permit, as it filed an early application. Moline, however, is not listed in the cities named for allocation in Illinois.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A Moline firm's attempt to rezone its plant site and adjacent land is likely to run into opposition when the Rock Island County Zoning Board of Appeals meets tonight. Louise Blaine, who lives just east of Moline Paint Manufacturing Co., 5400 23rd Ave., said she plans to attend the ZBA meeting and object. The paint company has requested its site and some adjacent land to the east be rezoned from C-2 (general commercial) to M-1 (light manufacturing).
Back: Available days in November 2001