Day in history for November 24, 2001

1851 -- 150 years ago
Names of the streets should be posted on the corners because the city of Rock Island is becoming enlarged and filling up fast.

1876 -- 125 years ago
Fred Ehleb, the butcher on the corner of 4th Ave. and 20th St., Rock Island, has erected an ice house in the rear of his shop.

1901 -- 100 years ago
Sunday afternoon concerts will be held at the new Illinois Theater in Rock Island after its completion.

1926 -- 75 years ago
Augustana College band members were ordered not to participate in athletics until after the band's tour of Sweden.

1951 -- 50 years ago
Directors of the Rock Island chamber of commerce voted to ask the city council to proceed immediately on negotiations for purchase of the site of the former Milwaukee railroad passenger depot for off-street parking of autos. The tract is located on 17th St. at the Mississippi River front.

1976 -- 25 years ago
Educators say the new extension center of Western Illinois University in East Moline is the way surplus school buildings will be used in the future. As declining enrollment forces the closing of additional elementary buildings, higher education may be able to take over in many instances, according to WIU President Leslie F. Malpass. The Center for Continuing Education opened this fall at the former John Deere School, 910 18th Ave.

Back: Available days in November 2001

Local events heading

  (More History)