Day in history for November 14, 2001
- 1851 -- 150 years ago
- Nearly every boat discharges a large amount of freight on the levee showing that Rock Island merchants are waking up to the necessity and importance of doing a large and extensive business.
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- A union meeting of Rock Island churches was held at the Baptist Church.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Augustana College eleven won from Moline High School in a close and exciting game, 5 to 0.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island County delegates to the annual state welfare conference at Mount Vernon bid for the 1927 session.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- All Illinois Quad-Cities will be asked to join Rock Island in an official protest to the Illinois Commerce Commission on the quantity and quality of service provided by the Rock Island-Moline City Lines. Such a move represents the most strenuous action yet taken by the city council to obtain better bus service in Rock Island.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A mass produced housing project in Moline some 30 years ago for returning World War II veterans has prospered. To some, the survival of the 510 houses in Molette Addition, has been a surprise. Some thought the inexpensive tract homes would deteriorate into a slum. The two- and three-bedroom homes built on a cement slab without basements and with prefabricated aluminum walls sold for $6,800 to $7,800 when first built. Today they are selling in the mid-$20,000 range.
Back: Available days in November 2001