Day in history for November 1, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The second Illinois District Sunday School Convention is being held at Central Presbyterian Church, Rock Island, with about 150 delegates present.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island County Medical Society was formed at a meeting of about twenty-five members of the profession at the Harper House, Rock Island.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Five thousand members of the Rock Island County Catholic parishes gathered at Douglas Park to commemorate the establishment of the first Catholic church in Rock Island 75 years ago by Father John George Alleman.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Fire Chief Joseph W. Burke today estimated $1,000 damage resulted from two fires and an explosion yesterday afternoon in the dust collector at the Rock Island Millwork Company. The explosion blew the roof off the dust collector structure and scattered the debris about forty feet.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Establishment of a special tax district to finance construction of Moline's 1.4 million downtown mall is virtually assured, with the number of downtown property owners filing objections falling far short of the number necessary to scuttle the project. Under the special tax district, property owners in the area would be assessed up to $2.10 per $100 assessed valuation, for a maximum of 15 years, to pay for the mall construction and a $15,000-per-year maintenance charge.
Back: Available days in November 2001