Day in history for October 8, 2001

1876 -- 125 years ago
The Rockford Railroad was transferred to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad and General N.J.T. Dana was ordered to Rock Island as general superintendent.

1901 -- 100 years ago
A new Jewish organization known as the B'nai Jacob congregation has been formed in Rock Island with A. Rudkowsky as president.

1926 -- 75 years ago
The payroll of the International Harvester Works at 4201 5th Ave., Rock Island, has been doubled since the factory was opened for operation and nearly four hundred men are now employed in the plant.

1951 -- 50 years ago
A Moline couple narrowly escaped serious injury early today when a 55-pound slab of concrete was hurled through a bedroom window at their residence. Moline police said they were unable to determine a reason for the attack. In Moline Public Hospital with an extensive laceration over her right eye and other cuts from the shattered window is Mrs. Lois Mitchell, 826 16th Ave., Rock Island County home advisor. Her husband, Edward, a commercial teacher at Reynolds High School, incurred less serious cuts on his head and face.

1976 -- 25 years ago
Beginning Sunday, East Moline firemen will be the first in the Quad-Cities to work a 42-hour week instead of the traditional 56 hours. Firefighters won the work week reduction during contract negotiations last month. The city council approved the shorter week on a six-month trial basis.

Back: Available days in October 2001

Local events heading


(More History)