Day in history for October 6, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Peter Farrell has completed the brick work on Dart's Sons new block and he will now rush the work on Gaylord's new block before cold weather.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island Waterworks Superintendent Bancroft is preparing a barge and arranging the machinery which will be used to repair leaks in the intake pipe of the waterworks.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Members of the Rock Island Club will consider a proposal for the sale of their property on the west side of 19th St. between 2nd and 3rd Ave. and the dissolution of the club organization.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- An 8-year old Rock Island girl received a stern lecture from First Assistant Fire Chief Charles B. Knox after she turned in a false alarm at 12th St. and 3rd Ave., Rock Island. Assistant Chief Knox said the girl maintained she did not know what would happen when she pulled the alarm. The girl, taken in custody by Patrolman Kenneth F. Jaeke, did not run away after pulling the alarm, the assistant fire chief asserted.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A Quad-City woman had to check six local tire stores last week before she found a size H78-15 tire for her car. The length of her search was surprising to local retail dealers, but may not be uncommon in coming months. The ripples of the four-month tire industry strike this summer are beginning to reach consumers, and a check with local retail dealers indicates supplies are getting low.
Back: Available days in October 2001