Day in history for October 27, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- L.E. Saulpaugh of the contracting firm of Reynolds, Saulpaugh and Company has returned from Cincinnati where the firm completed its contract for building the Ohio River railroad bridge.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Burlington Railroad abolished the office of general agent in Davenport and the affairs of the office were returned to the jurisdiction of H.D. Mack, division freight and passenger agent in Rock Island.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Carl A. Hallgren of Rock Island was appointed general chairman for the 71st annual conclave of the grand commandery, Knights Templar of Illinois, to be held in Rock Island in 1927.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Seventeen new fire alarm boxes were put in operation in Silvis today. The boxes were installed by Harrington Signal Co., Moline, at a cost of $2,125 and will be paid for by the city over a period of two years. The old boxes will be cleaned and repaired and sold to fire departments in nearby villages.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Moline park board officials are renewing efforts to make $100,000 worth of improvements to Beling Park, 14th Street and Black Hawk Road. Park superintendent, Alan Efflandt, said the board is seeking to extend the current lease on the property, owned by Earl H. Beling. The park board has leased the property for $50 per year since 1963 but has put off making substantial investments in the property because the city does not own the land.
Back: Available days in October 2001