Day in history for October 21, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island fire ordinance makes provision for a fire warden in each ward, whose duty it shall be to make stated examinations of the buildings in his district, and report any unsafe chimneys or flues to the city council or chief engineer.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Dan McLain, who has been with the D.R.I. And N.W. for the past two years as yardmaster at Davenport, has taken the position of yardmaster for the Rock Island at Eldon, Iowa.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- J.W. Armstrong, vice president of the Illinois Oil Company was named to the board of directors of the Rock Island YMCA.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Finding the driver who rammed into a telephone pole on the southeast corner of 9th Street and 5th Avenue, Rock Island, was elementary for Rock Island police. After the crash at 11:38 last night, the motorist drove away. However, he left his front bumper and his license plate. Rock Island police checked the license number and this morning arrested the driver.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Jean Alice Small, vice president of The Moline Dispatch and associate editor of the Kankakee Daily Journal, became the first woman named to the board of directors of the Inland Daily Press Association in the group's 91-year history. Mrs. Small was elected at Inland's annual meeting at the Drake Hotel in Chicago. The meeting is being attended by news executives from more than 500 newspapers in the United States and Canada.
Back: Available days in October 2001