Day in history for October 12, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The Bellows House is being reshingled.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Ardo W. Mitchell won the handicap cup in the final golf match at the Arsenal links, defeating John D. Cady.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Members of the Rock Island Club voted 65 to 7 to empower the directors to dispose of property and equipment at 218 19th St. to Rock Island Elks Lodge.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Damage is estimated at $10,000 in a fire that raged for six hours destroying 60 tons of baled paper in a metal building at the Riverside Industrial Materials Company, north of Bettendorf. Bettendorf Fire Chief Arthur J. Voelliger said his entire force of 22 firemen was on duty for most of the time. The intense heat from the baled paper, most of it waxed or oiled paper, softened the sheet metal roof and siding of the 28 by 60-foot building, so that it sagged like a wax structure, the chief said.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The Silvis City Hall is getting a face lift. The 54-year-old building never has been sandblasted, so the new look has attracted a lot of people's attention. City hall's new look is not confined to the outside only. The Silvis Retired Senior Citizens have received a $6,000 grant to remodel the old library, which was located in the basement, into a lounge and game room. The first floor, which houses the police department was remodeled earlier this year at a cost of $120,000.
Back: Available days in October 2001