Day in history for September 9, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The rain kept many people from attending the Scott County Fair. Rock Island and Davenport will each owe the failure of their fair to the elements.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- A boiler in Musser's saw mill in Muscatine exploded, completely wrecking the boiler room and fearfully scalding Chief Engineer Robert Carter, David L. Dulgar, his assistant, and Fireman John Dulgar. The men were literally cooked, and their recovery is impossible.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Elbert Hollingsworth was elected president of the senior class of the Rock Island High School.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Dan Cupid had a streak of bad luck in Davenport yesterday as far as the Olsons and Olsens were concerned. However, the loss of a wedding ring and the theft of gifts did not hinder wedding plans. Harry E. Olson, Rock Island, told Davenport police he lost a gold band set with three diamonds shortly after purchasing it. To meet the wedding deadline, Olson bought another ring. Norman Olsen, Davenport, told police a prowler broke into his auto and stole gifts intended for attendants at his wedding.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Sheriff Joe Schneider refused to accept the five used 1974 model state police squads bought in Springfield for his department as replacement vehicles for sheriff's cars having 100,000 or more miles. The sheriff said he didn't requisition any cars and didn't ask for a transfer of funds to pay the $5,000 costs.
Back: Available days in September 2001