Day in history for September 8, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Mr. C.W. Wivill, of the well-known dry goods firm of H.C. Wivill And Co., Rock Island, has returned from the east, where he purchased the largest stock of dry goods ever brought to this city before.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The board of review of assessments in Rock Island County completed its labor and the results show a loss in valuation since last year on property in the city of Rock Island of $21,130.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island voters approved the proposition to abandon the city's tuberculosis sanatorium, located at 25th Avenue and 17th Street.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Workmen have begun clearing and excavating at the site of the new 4-story classroom wing for United Township High School, East Moline. Cost of the project is estimated at more than $1,000,000. The addition will provide 15 classrooms and a study hall. Part of the hill is being removed and the first floor of the new section will be on a lower level level than the present high school building.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Illinois legislators say they could provide $20 million in state funding if Quad-City mayors can agree on a proposed areawide civic center. But Rock Island Mayor James Haymaker said today there's ``no way'' he could endorse a joint civic center outside his city. Haymaker appeared the lone holdout against the Riverpoint Center proposed by the Quad-City Development Group for the western tip of Arsenal Island.
Back: Available days in September 2001