Day in history for September 6, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Mayor Butler has authorized Mr. J.R. Hartman to number all buildings in Rock Island according to the ordinance adopted by the city council.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The final arrangements for a membership contest were made at the Young Men's Christian Association building for an effort to bring the membership up to the 500 mark.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Today is one of Rock Island's historic anniversaries as 70 years ago Stephen A. Douglas, the ``little giant'' senator from Illinois, addressed a great rally of Democrats here.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The Quad-City Blackhawks and the National Basketball Association today had come to a parting of the ways, and after five years, professional basketball had ground to a sudden and bitter ending in the Quad-Cities. The Blackhawks were dismissed from the league at a meeting in New York yesterday, and plans were set in motion for sale of the players and the franchise to the association.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Dolores Bultinck of Moline will be among 40 American and European crafts people participating in the first International Crafts Exposition this month at The Old Country, Busch Gardens family entertainment center at Williamsburg, Va. Dolores, an expert in the art of bobbin lace work, will demonstrate her craft during the exposition Sept. 11-15, 18-21 and 25-26 at the European-inspired theme park.
Back: Available days in September 2001