Day in history for September 27, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The walls of Dart's Sons' new block are about completed, and add another fine building to Rock Island.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island city council ordered immediate repair of 12 leaks found in the intake pipe at the waterworks.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The membership campaign of the Rock Island Civic Music Association opened with a banquet at the Fort Armstrong Hotel.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- A spectacular fire which spread a pall of black smoke over the Rock Island business district raged through nearly a thousand old auto tires at the east end of the yards of the Dalkoff Iron And Metal Co., at 10th St. and 1st Ave., Rock Island, at noon today. Hundreds of Rock Island and Quad-City people, attracted to the scene by the heavy plumes of smoke, saw firemen wage a stiff battle against the flames, which were fanned by high wind.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Law enforcement has failed to stem the supply of heroin in the Quad-Cities, and efforts should be concentrated on curbing demand for the drug, an official of an addiction treatment center says. ``Heroin is readily available to anyone in the Quad-Cities who has the money,'' Sam Podurgal, director of the Quint-City Drug Abuse Council, told a committee of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission. ``As long as there is a demand, there will be someone willing to supply it if the price is right, he said.''
Back: Available days in September 2001