Day in history for September 25, 2001

1876 -- 125 years ago
B.D. Buford And Co., Rock Island plow manufacturers, received a telegram stating that the ``Brown Sulky'' came out victorious in a field trial at the Mercer County Fair.

1901 -- 100 years ago
The second annual convention of the Illinois State Electric Association was held at the Harper House.

1926 -- 75 years ago
About 4,000 persons massed in front of the Argus building to hear megaphoned reports of the Dempsey-Tunney heavyweight title contest won by Tunney.

1951 -- 50 years ago
The Argus and Moline Dispatch today announced plans for opening jointly a news office in Davenport on or before Oct. 1. Quarters have been leased at 112 E. 4th St. in a building owned by the I.L. Sears estate. The two newspapers have received certification from the office of the Iowa secretary of state as qualified to do business in Iowa. The license was issued in the names of the two publishing firms, The J.W. Potter Co. and the Moline Dispatch Publishing Co. When staffed by the two papers, the branch will cover the news of Davenport, Bettendorf and Scott County.

1976 -- 25 years ago
Several Moline residents may have thought they had a geyser in their backyards when they first sighted smoke rising from a ravine near 33rd St. and 25th Ave. The area several years ago had been a dump and was later covered with dirt. A man burning rubbish in the ravine several weeks ago set the buried rubbish on fire.

Back: Available days in September 2001



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)