Day in history for September 20, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Through the bankers, Seligman, in New York and Frankfort, the Rockford, Rock Island and St. Louis Railroad has been purchased by the Frankfort committee of the purchasing bondholders, for 1.5 million dollars in gold in Frankfort.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island people as one paused for five minutes in mournful meditation for the memory of the late President McKinley.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Hundreds of Rock Island people were anxiously awaiting the establishment of general communication from the southeast coast of Florida, devastated by a hurricane, to learn the fate of relatives and friends residing or visiting there.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The traffic committee of the Moline city council will take a poll of residents and merchants in the 1-way traffic areas of 5th and 6th avenues to determine their sentiments toward the arrangement, it was decided after an opposition group complained at a public hearing that their business and personal lives have suffered because of it.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline officials have discovered a meter reading error at the International Harvester Co. plant has cost the city about $56,000 since March. Mayor Dennis Jacobs said the city installed a new water meter at the plant months ago, which gauged the amount of water in cubic feet. However, the old meter read out gallons and nobody informed the meter reader of the switch.
Back: Available days in September 2001