Day in history for September 14, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- A barge load of bridge timber for the new Rock River bridge, which was being shipped from Clinton a few days ago, sank shortly after starting out.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The board of supervisors took up the request of the representatives of the veterans of the Civil War for the mounting and care of the old cannon in the jail yard.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- A sight unique in the history of Rock Island was a United States Army blimp, the first time such a monarch of the air has ever flown above the Tri-Cities.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The Moline board of education does not anticipate a great loss of revenue because the Quad-City Blackhawks will not be using Wharton Fieldhouse for professional basketball games this year. The board feels that many groups which have had to go elsewhere for their programs because the Blackhawks had priority on the fieldhouse will return to it now, making up for the lost revenue.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Quad-Citians who have been at the new Drury Lane Theater in Chicago's Water Tower Place the last few weeks report that a former Miss Moline, Bonnie Sue Arp, is a smash hit in the show there. Bonnie Sue is featured with Joey Bishop in a comedy, ``The Mind With the Dirty Man.'' Bonnie Sue was Miss Moline in 1964. She appeared in several community-theater productions in the Quad-Cities and also taught dancing here.
Back: Available days in September 2001