Day in history for September 11, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Rev. Phillip Barth, for the past year in charge of the German Methodist Church in Rock Island, has been called to Harper, Iowa.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The last train of the Rocky Mountain Limited Service on the Rock Island Road passed through Rock Island.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Three Rock Island men were issued papers of incorporation for the manufacture of automobile accessories under the name of the Sandbo Corporation.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- An estimated several hundred dollars damage resulted from a fire caused by the backfire of a Rock Island-Moline City Lines bus at the firm's garage, 3448 5th Ave., Rock Island. Firemen said the backfire occurred as the bus was being started up while in a wash rack at the garage. The backfire ignited one of the washing brushes and also scorched paint on the bus. Two fire companies answered the alarm but the fire was out when they arrived.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A 120-acre Whiteside County farm brought a record $3,000 an acre in an estate sale. The farm, owned by the Darlene L. Toppert estate on Ill. 78 about 10 miles southeast of Prophetstown, was purchased by Robert and George DeWaele, who own a nearby farm. Dana Scheidecker, assistant Whiteside County extension advisor, said farm land in the area has been selling for up to $2,500 an acre. There's a limited amount of good, tillable farm land.
Back: Available days in September 2001