Day in history for August 8, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The office of Dr. Kewley, in post office block, Rock Island, was entered and a fine suit of clothes stolen.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The contract for the erection of Rock Island's new library building was let by the library board to Collins Bros.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Plans for holding a big roundup of all former servicemen residing within a radius of 50 miles of the Quad-Cities were announced by G.R. Baker of Rock Island.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The Army is going to send Rock Island County four small cannons to mount on the courthouse lawn, replacing four guns contributed to scrap drives during World War II. Sheriff Morris E. Muhleman wrote to the Army ordnance department in Washington asking for the cannons and received a reply saying surplus 37 millimeter guns, mounted on carriages, were available for this use.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Amy Ann Layton's dolls will take up residence in the splendor of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. Her grandfather, Chester Layton, Moline, spent the last year, and less than $20, building his six-year-old granddaughter a birthday present she's unlikely to forget. Like Jefferson's mansion, Layton's replica of Monticello includes a dome-topped billiard room, a piano room complete with piano and other features of the Charlottesville, Va., mansion. Layton hopes the dollhouse will be the birthday gift of a lifetime for his granddaughter from Wheeling.
Back: Available days in August 2001