Day in history for August 3, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Track laying on the new Rock Island and Mercer Co. railroad commenced from Milan and the work will be pushed forward as rapidly as possible.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The last house on the site of the new Rock Island Lines passenger station on 5th Ave., Rock Island, has been sold and its demolition begun.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- A huge electric signboard, bearing the words, ``Hotel Fort Armstrong'' is being erected on the roof of Rock Island's new hotel.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The charges that the government dams on the upper Mississippi River are causing floods were termed ridiculous today by officers of the Rock Island district of United States Engineers. ``The basic and only purpose of the dams is to maintain navigation. They have nothing to do with flood control. The dams neither aid nor hinder flood waters,'' the engineers stated. The engineers' statement followed a protest of 150 land owners in southern Illinois who charged that the floods on their lands were ``man made.'' They claimed that such conditions did not exist before the dams were built.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A 13-acre strip of Milan village land adjacent to Camden Park has been given to Rock Island County for construction of the proposed beltline. The highway, east and north of Rock Island's 92nd Avenue, will extend to Ill. 92 (Airport Road) by crossing Knoxville and Indian Bluff Roads and Quad-City Airport property.
Back: Available days in August 2001