Day in history for August 29, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- This was the first day of our county fair.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Argillo Works at Carbon Cliff, owned by J.F. Robinson and Fred Titterington of Rock Island, has started a new machine for the manufacture of a plastic fire brick.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The third annual parade of the Rock Island playground children with their new lanterns, staged in Long View Park, set a new mark with 150 entries.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Two Rock Island boys, ages 6 and 7, were being questioned by Policewoman Madeline L. Johnson today in connection with the smashing of a neon church sign and windows in used cars. The boys were taken into custody last night after they reportedly were seen throwing stones at a sign at First Lutheran Church, 406 14th St., and breaking windows in cars at the Buck Buick used car lot, 4th Ave. and 14th St. H.P. Buck, proprietor of the Buick firm, said about ten car windows have been smashed at the used car lot in the last four or five days. He estimated damage at $100.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A firecracker thrown from a passing car as two ambulance attendants were lifting a patient onto a stretcher at 2534 7th Ave., Rock Island, Saturday night, resulted in the arrest of a 20-year-old youth and a 17-year-old girl on charges of reckless conduct and possession of fireworks. According to police, the firecracker hit the stretcher, fell to the ground and exploded.
Back: Available days in August 2001