Day in history for August 28, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Brick work on Fred Kellerstrass' new building was completed. It is a fine ornament to Rock Island.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The People's Power Company made a preliminary test of the new dredge that has been under construction at the foot of 18th St., Rock Island, for the past few weeks and the work done was most satisfactory.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- First steps toward bringing to Rock Island this season at least three major musical attractions were taken in a meeting of men and women interested in good music.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The appointment of Gerald Grauer as Moline YMCA physical director was confirmed by the Moline YMCA board of directors at a meeting last night at Otto Schweinberger's country home on Rock River. Grauer, who came to Moline from LaCrosse State Teachers College in Wisconsin, had been an assistant at the Y for the last year.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Police today were holding a 23-year-old man on a burglary charge after he allegedly broke into a Rock Island home early yesterday morning and took two boxes of disposable diapers and a bottle of baby oil. He is accused of burglarizing the home of Mrs. Luzell Robinson, 830 12th St. Mrs. Robinson's daughter reported observing him crawling out a bedroom window. The suspect ran into an adjoining abandoned house. Police said they recovered the diapers and baby oil from the abandoned house after making the arrest.
Back: Available days in August 2001