Day in history for August 26, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- During the last two weeks, Moline has experienced some fearfully hot weather.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- W.H. Lange has been shaking hands with himself since Saturday night that he is here to tell the story of a remarkable escape he had from suffocation in a folding bed.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Approximately 7,000 people gathered at the Rock Island County Fair at Joslin to see the exhibits and witness the horse races.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- A bid to bring the 1952 Illinois State Chess Championship Tournament to Rock Island is expected to meet with approval of the Illinois State Chess Federation in Chicago. Three Rock Island men, officers of the Tri-City Chess and Checkers Club, will present the bid to directors of the association at their annual meeting. The trio, Karl Wiegmann, Henry Jeffrey, and John Warren, will compete in the state tournament.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- When the Jerrold Adamson family, 521 39th St., Moline, returned from vacation this week there was a surprise waiting for them, a big totem pole. For many years Adamson has been one of the kingpins in the Indian Guides-Trailblazers program of the Upper Rock Island County YMCA but is going to ease his efforts in the program. To show their appreciation for his work his colleagues at the Y, who were making the totem pole, decided to put it in Adamson's lawn until they were ready to use it elsewhere.
Back: Available days in August 2001