Day in history for August 25, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The trains from the west were delayed by hoppers west of Des Moines. Conductor Ryan's train lost 50 minutes waiting for hopper-struck freights to get out of the way.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- St. Anthony's Hospital, Rock Island, which has been an extension of the hospital of St. Francis at Little Falls, Minn., has become an independent institution.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The third annual Rock Island County Fair opened at Joslin.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Kindergarten pupils in Silvis will attend class in the city hall auditorium until the new George Barr elementary school, under construction at the present time, is completed. This announcement was made today by Mr. Barr, superintendent of Silvis schools. It is not expected that the Barr school will be ready for occupancy until November.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- When 22-year-old Linda Nuss, Moline, got her hair cut, she decided her appearance needed a little something ``extra.'' So she punched another hole in her already pierced ears. Linda now wears two earrings in each ear. Wearing two earrings in one ear is the new jewelry fad across the nation. Many women wear two earrings in both ears; another popular variation is wearing two earrings in just one ear, with one earring in the other. Although the fad has been popular on the West and East coasts for some time, it's not common in the Quad-Cities area.
Back: Available days in August 2001