Day in history for August 23, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- A meeting was held at the Rock Island Third Ward Hose House, lately vacated by Hope Hose Company, for the purpose of organizing a new company.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The 8-inch mill at the Sylvan Steel Works has been started up and all mills are now running and a rush of orders has made it necessary to operate the 18-inch mill nights.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island's river front took on an illuminated atmosphere when electroliers which have been installed were lighted for the first time.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Plans to visit each of her students in her own home before the opening of school have been announced by Miss Viola Herington, who began work this week as instructor of home economics at New Windsor High School. She would like to visit girls in the same neighborhood on the same day, and has asked that anyone who has a special preference as to time notify the high school office.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- A street fight involving 50 to 60 persons forced East Moline police to call for reinforcements from Moline, Silvis and Rock Island County authorities. The disturbance was believed to be between patrons of a tavern in the 1100 block of 15th Ave. and members of a motorcycle club. Police said several persons were arrested in connection with the disturbance, which took authorities 45 minutes to break up. Details on the cause of the disturbance were not available.
Back: Available days in August 2001