Day in history for August 12, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The city attorney has been instructed to notify all those who are in arrears for their proportion of the cost of building sidewalks that unless they shall pay the same to him at once, proceedings will be commenced to collect the amount by special assessment.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- There have been a large number of snake bites along the river this summer, campers being the ones who have suffered in the greatest number of instances.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Captain E.T. Hanson and Mrs. Hanson have arrived in Rock Island to take up the direction of the local division of the Salvation Army.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The chess team from the Tri-City Chess and Checkers Club retained the downstate Illinois chess team championship by defeating Decatur and Rockford teams in the annual title match at the Hotel Kaskaskia, LaSalle. The title was won last year in a match at Peoria. Members of the team are Karl Wiegmann, captain, John Warren, Henry Jeffrey and Alfons Rochow, all of Rock Island, and Clyde Gray, Davenport.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- There will be plenty of natural gas for everybody this winter, gas company officials say, at a higher price. Iowa-Illinois Gas And Electric Co. officials say they haven't been notified how much higher prices will be, but the utility's principal supplier said the rate hike is expected to be about 6.2 percent, or about $15.69 for an average homeowner whose annual heating bill is now $253.
Back: Available days in August 2001