Day in history for August 1, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Mr. Streckfus' new brick building is commencing to loom up under the experienced hands of Peter Farrell.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Several thousand people crowded in and around Spencer Square to hear the first free concert of the season.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- More than seventy-five directors of the rural school districts in Rock Island County attended a meeting at the court house in Rock Island when Justin A. Washburn, county superintendent, outlined plans for the opening of the country schools this fall.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- St. Anthony's Hospital was authorized by the Illinois Public Health Department today to restrict maternity-patient visitors to one person per day. The permit was issued by Dr. Roland Cross, state health director. According to Dr. Cross, the permit was warranted by reports indicating incidents of diarrhea in the general population of the state. The hospital will permit only fathers as visitors.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The last tract of undeveloped land along Moline's 23rd Avenue ``Miracle Mile'' was sold at public auction for nearly $160,000 less than the original owner paid for it. The 35-acre lot on the northwest corner of 23rd Ave. and 53rd St. was sold to the Sieg Co., a wholesale auto parts chain, for $741,000. The property was sold to settle the estate of Ernest ``Clell'' McClelland Harrelson, former owner of Harrelson Motors, Moline, who died last September.
Back: Available days in August 2001