Day in history for July 25, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- At the Rock Island County Fair this season, $18,500 will be paid in premiums.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- As anticipated, yesterday proved the hottest of the season and the century as well as of all recorded time in local weather circles. Observer Sherier reported 106, a degree above the best former efforts.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- The work of setting foundations for the 31 electroliers, which are to be installed in Long View Park in Rock Island has been completed.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Two feature articles written by Richard N. Gage, Argus reporter, have been reprinted in the July issue of the Rock Island Lines News Digest. The stories originally appeared in The Argus in May. The articles tell Gage's experiences riding to Chicago in the cab of a diesel engine and his return to Rock Island in a steam engine.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- After living the last year and a half in Australia, the James DeBo family returned home to Hampton from ``down under'' to find their house decorated with ``welcome home'' signs by friends and neighbors. DeBo had been transferred by Deere to Perth, Australia, where he worked as project manager for business systems. The DeBo family also spent two weeks on their return home in New Zealand and several days in Tahiti and the Fiji Islands. Mrs. DeBo said, ``We enjoyed it there, but we are glad to get back home.''
Back: Available days in July 2001