Day in history for June 8, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Work on the Mercer County Railroad is progressing finely, commencing at Milan, and laying track as they go.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Tri-City harness makers held their annual picnic at Schuetzen's Park, Davenport.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- John G. Huntoon and C. Dudley Marshall announced their candidacies for reelection as members of the Rock Island board of education and R.C. Mitchell announced himself as a candidate to fill a vacancy on the board.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Graduation fever in a triple dose has hit the Clyde McKee home, Rock Island, this past week. Three members of the family are receiving diplomas from three different schools. Daryl is graduating from Rock Island High School tonight. His brother, Paul, went the cap and gown route at Graceland College, Lamoni, Iowa. Their mother, Mrs. Evelyn McKee, received her bachelor's degree from Marycrest College, Davenport, last Sunday. Mrs. McKee has been teaching grade school at Illinois City the past year in addition to completing her college work.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The courthouse lawn memorial to Rock Island County's war dead will soon be expanded to make room for the names of 70 men killed in Vietnam. The county board's executive committee approved a request to add two wings to the stone monument to make room for the new names. A memorial society has collected the money to buy the marble stones needed and the work is to be done in the near future.
Back: Available days in June 2001