Day in history for June 27, 2001

1876 -- 125 years ago
The horse car stables at Centre Station have been cleaned and renovated throughout and the stalls newly whitewashed, presenting a fresh and cheerful appearance.

1901 -- 100 years ago
Totten's Music Store was moved into its new quarters, 1726-28 2nd Ave., Rock Island.

1926 -- 75 years ago
A crowd of 75 attended the dedication of the boulder marking the site where the first house was built in Rock Island at 28th Street and 5th Avenue.

1951 -- 50 years ago
Heavy rain splattered over the Quad-Cities this morning, making the 17th day on which rain has fallen in this area during the month. The morning's precipitation measured .64 of an inch, bringing the total so far this month to 6.55, or 2.44 inches more than the normal 4.11 for the month of June. Glumly, the weatherman issued a forecast of more showers or thunderstorms tonight.

1976 -- 25 years ago
Most family reunions are just a picnic in a park. But not so when the Ruggles clan gets together. They really do it up right. Dr. and Mrs. Ralph Ruggles of Moline will be hosting about 60 people from 10 states. Activities over the weekend include a breakfast at their home, lunch at Riverside Park, a tour of the John Deere Administrative Center, a boat ride, a visit to Niabi Zoo, a worship service conducted by family members and a picnic before the out-of-towners take off for home.

Back: Available days in June 2001

Local events heading

  Today is Wednesday, July 30, the 211th day of 2014. There are 154 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: After Sept. 1, every small box of matches will be required to have a 3 cent duty Lincoln stamp on it, and every large box will be one cent for every 100 matches.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Rock Island residents had contributed a total of $1,293 to the American Red Cross for the Johnstown flood relief fund.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Capt. Clark Means, new darkhorse twirler for the ARGUS staff, was in great form in his initial contest as a mound laborer. The result was that THE ARGUS trimmed the Union 6-5.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Hunter and Humprey Moody, young Decatur, Ill, brothers, lack only a few hours of establishing a new world light plane endurance record.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Gates of the 110th annual Mercer County Fair swing open tonight at Aledo for a full week of day and night activity. More that $36,000 will be paid in premiums and race purses.
1989 -- 25 years ago: The baseball field carved out of the cornfield near Dyersville, Iowa, continues to keep dreams alive for hundreds of visitors. Tourists from 26 state and France have visited Dan Lansing's farm to see the baseball diamond seen in the hit movie "Field of Dreams."

(More History)