Day in history for June 26, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- From sundown last night to nearly daylight this morning the air was bright with flashes of lightning, and during the night we had some heavy thunder and a copious fall of rain.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Ticket Agent F.H. Plummer of the Rock Island Road was given a leave of absence to go to Manitou, Colo. for the summer.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Five hundred persons attended the golden anniversary dinner of the State Bar Association.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Ernest Kivisto, coach of the Miami, Ariz., state high school basketball champions, today became the new cage mentor at United Township High School, East Moline. He replaces Don Smith, who recently resigned from the head coaching job. Kivisto was hailed as the ``coach of the year'' in Arizona high school circles this year when he piloted his Vandals to a string of 27 straight victories and the state championship.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County officials were seeking information today on the person or persons responsible for causing an estimated $3,000 to $4,000 damage to the home of the director of the Niabi Zoo. Vandals smashed windows in the kitchen and living room, tore off ceiling tile in the kitchen, gouged the gas range and refrigerator and disfigured walls with crayons, paint and other materials. The home was occupied until recently by former Zoo Director Al Coggins, who was fired by county officials early this week.
Back: Available days in June 2001