Day in history for June 19, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Today, for the first time in four days, occasional glimpses of the sun were seen. For four days the weather has been cold and rainy, and the farmers say the prospect for growing crops is very discouraging.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The Emanon Club gave a dance at the Watch Tower in Rock Island.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Resurfacing with asphaltic concrete was agreed on as the type of improvement to be made on 4th Avenue, 1st to 15th Streets, Rock Island.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The Scottish brogue may be a bit thick at the Quad-City Airport Sunday as the dream of a determined mother to see her two sons after many years of separation is realized. William S. (Scotty) Kean, Rock Island, is looking forward to greeting his mother for the first time in 30 years. The 74-year-old woman has recently flown from her home in Kilmarnock, Scotland, to see Scotty and his twin brother, James, of Hamilton, Ont. ``It's going to be the biggest thrill of my life to see my mother again,'' Scotty said. ``I haven't seen her since I left home at the age of 23 to come to this country 30 years ago.''
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. Barbara Kuhns, Geneseo, is the first woman veterinarian to ever practice the art in the Cambridge-Geneseo area and one of the few female veterinarians in Western Illinois. The former high school teacher opened her practice a week ago, achieving a goal she formed at age 16.
Back: Available days in June 2001