Day in history for May 30, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- D.T. Thorp, of Holland Publishing Co., Chicago, is in town and is delivering to subscribers the new Rock Island and Moline directory.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Seniors of Rock Island High School held their class day exercises at the YMCA auditorium.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Twelve candidates for the ministry of the Augustana Synod were awarded the bachelor of divinity degrees at Augustana Theological Seminary.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Residents of Mercer Unit School District, No. 201, will vote June 16 on a proposed $932,000 building program which would include a new high school and four rural attendance centers. Petitions for the referendum with more than twice the necessary number of names have been filed with the district board of education. The proposed high school is part of an overall improvement program for the entire district, developed by the school board to solve the problem of overcrowding and inadequate equipment.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad City Nuclear Power Station near Cordova is one of 58 power plants around the country that have been placed on alert against the possibility of takeover by terrorists. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission in Washington revealed that it sent a message warning the station, along with other nuclear power plants around the country, to alert security forces to the possibility that extremists might try to seize a nuclear plant.
Back: Available days in May 2001