Day in history for May 27, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Forty-three men are at work in the Rock Island Arsenal cleaning and repairing breach-loading muskets. One hundred men are engaged in harness and other leather work.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Harry A. Westerman, treasurer of the Davenport Barbers' Union, is missing. So are between $300 and $400 belonging to the union and to friends that he ``touched'' before leaving town a couple of weeks ago.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Children of the Rock Island schools will observe Memorial Day and representatives of the Grand Army of the Republic will visit the schools.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Police today began investigation of a third burglary in less than a year in which large quantities of whisky were taken at the Dude Ranch, 530 7th St., Rock Island. Burglars who entered the tavern some time after 12:30 o'clock this morning took 60 bottles of whisky, 56 cartons of cigarets, three boxes of cigars and $15, according to Gene Stein, tavern operator. The loss was put at about $400.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Davenport police juvenile authorities charged a nine-year-old Davenport boy with six charges of breaking and entering. It was the 50-pound youth's 19th arrest. Juvenile officers said the boy confessed under questioning that he had been involved in about 20 break-ins of homes, commercial establishments, garages and autos over the past several weeks and that he had stolen eight purses, including one belonging to his teacher.
Back: Available days in May 2001