Day in history for May 26, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island Street Commissioner Mauker is putting in a good bridge on Toledo Street between Otter and Swan, in place of the one carried away by the storm of the 18th.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The corner stone of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Rock Island, was laid with impressive ceremonies.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Agitation for daylight saving time for the Tri-Cities ceased when the Davenport chamber of commerce refused to endorse the adoption of such a schedule.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- A telephone directory has brought a brother and sister together after 29 years. Mrs. Flossie Iffland, Rock Island, had not seen her brother Leo Fetterer in 29 years, although Mrs. Iffland has resided in Moline and Rock Island 11 years. ``Last Wednesday I was thumbing through the telephone book,'' Mrs. Iffland said. ``And there, as big as life, was my brother's name and address.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- There's nothing half-hearted about the Kennedy brothers of Coal Valley, who will be setting forth on a 4,250-mile bike trip. Mike, 15, had open-heart surgery five years ago, and since then has been unable to participate in team sports, so he took up cycling. The brothers will begin their journey in Reedsport, Oregon. The entire trip will take 82 days, which includes eight rest days. The trip will cost approximately $1,000 each, which does not include the cost of the bicycles.
Back: Available days in May 2001