Day in history for May 10, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Hon. Thos. S. Ridgeway, state treasurer of Illinois, is at the Harper House in Rock Island. Mr. Ridgeway is a candidate for the Republican nomination for governor.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Governor Yates accepted Rock Island's invitation to visit the city at the time of President McKinley's stop on his way back east.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Over a hundred Rock Island boys, entries in the annual Argus Y.M.C.A. learn-to-swim campaign, took their first swimming lessons.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- A special train will bring to Davenport tomorrow morning a complete electrical show of the newest types of equipment for exhibition tomorrow and Monday. More than two thousand industrial, utility and civic leaders of the Quad-Cities have been invited by the General Electric Company to view the showing. The items are of interest only to those who produce electric power or use it industrially.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island County Historical Society, for the first time, has elected a woman as its president. She is Mrs. Howard (Virginia) Dahlberg of Moline. Mrs. Dahlberg has been active through the years in civic affairs and politics and now she will add the leadership of the Historical Society to her accomplishments. She succeeds Clarence Skinner as president.
Back: Available days in May 2001