Day in history for April 9, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The irrepressible J.M. Davies, general passenger agent of the Rockford road, has already made arrangements to run through cars between Rock Island and Springfield, during the meetings of the political conventions.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- T.P. Laflin and A.D. Speery returned from a big eastern shooting tournament, each having better scores than the former champion, Tom A. Marshall.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Thirty members of the Isaak Walton League Chapter of Rock Island voted to extend a challenge to the Rock Island Rod and Reel Club to a crow and hawk shoot to last throughout the summer.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Karl H. Wiegmann, Rock Island, retained his chess championship by defeating Lawrence Mahar, Moline, a former champion, at the club rooms of the Tri-City Chess and Checker Club, Davenport. Mr. Wiegmann ranks among the top 100 chess players in the nation, according to the U.S. Chess Federation.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline aldermen are accustomed to social service agencies asking for money, but the Quint Cities Drug Abuse Council sent the aldermen reeling by asking them to take away its funds. Sam Podurgal of the drug council said he would need no money from next year's city budget, and actually doesn't need $1600 the city had budgeted for the group for the next fiscal year. Mr. Podurgal said the drug council will receive funds from a recently approved mental health tax.
Back: Available days in April 2001