Day in history for April 6, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Collector Huber returned his tax books this morning, he having collected $50,916.62 and returned as delinquent $67,216.45.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The first dress rehearsal for the Rock Island Club Minstrels to be given at the Harper's Theater was held.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Kirk A. Journy was installed exalted ruler of Rock Island Lodge, No. 980, Elks.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island Masonic Temple has a new look inside with the completion this week of a $75,000 remodeling and redecoration project. The first such major project on the building in some 30 years extends from top to bottom, with a new lodge room on the top floor and a new automatic heating plant in the basement. The big remodeling job was carving a new room out of unused attic space.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- ``I'm so sorry I answered that damn phone this morning,'' Katie Wise said. Katie is a veteran dispatcher for the Rock Island Police Department, which prides itself on the ability to handle all problems. Except a kangaroo. ``This guy calls up and says `You're not going to believe me, I'm not drunk, I haven't been drinking. But I just saw a kangaroo hop through my neighbors yard.'|'' Harry Masterson, Rock Island, was out walking his dog about 6:30 a.m. when a 3-foot-tall kangaroo hopped over the hill across the street from him. Police failed to find the errant marsupial.
Back: Available days in April 2001