Day in history for April 26, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Quite a number of citizens assembled at the rooms of the Athletic Club last evening to consider the propriety of attempting a grand centennial celebration of the Fourth of July.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- The ladies auxiliary of Trinity Episcopal Church elected Mrs. H.H. Chase to be president for the coming year.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- Percy Brown, 13, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Brown, is the 1926 marble champion of Rock Island.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- More than 100 men with heavy power equipment are working today to repair the main line of the Rock Island Lines a mile east of Atkinson. The track was torn up for a distance of 600 feet at 1:30 o'clock this morning when 17 cars of a fast westbound Chicago-Houston freight train were derailed. No one was injured in the mishap.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- The Moline man who pushed a wheelbarrow from here to Boston in a 1930 publicity stunt did it on a bet, according to Dean Smith, a Green Rock resident who says he's the stuntman's son. Smith says his father Robert E. Smith, made the walk on a bet, although the amount was insignificant, and because it gave him something to do during the Depression. The wheelbarrow, which is box-type and still painted with slogans from the walk, was recently found in the attic above the garage of a house just purchased by William Rummells.
Back: Available days in April 2001