Day in history for April 22, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- Henry L. Benn, Moline, has just received the Mexican War medal from Washington. Mr. Benn served in the First United States Artillery during the war, and was honorably discharged at its close. The medal will be a free passport to the Centennial over all the roads leading to Philadelphia, and free quarters while there.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Joe Patten, 14, Rock Island, was run over by a beer wagon in front of the No. 2 hose house and received injuries in the abdomen. He was playing marbles in the street and attempted to dodge in front of the team.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- K.T. Anderson, cashier of the State Bank of Rock Island, was elected president of the Rock Island County Federation of the Illinois State Bankers' Association.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Amid cautious predictions that the Mississippi River may not reach the 19-foot level at Rock Island, the Quad-Cities region today entered the stretch drive in the battle to contain the glutted stream. The revised crest forecast raised hope that Rock Island's temporary sandbag dike will hold the flood waters out.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- For the second year in a row, the cost of a swim at Moline's Riverside Park pool will go up. The park board has agreed to increase the season tickets another $1 to $8 for children and $12 for adults, $30 for family passes. General admission prices also were increased a dime to 50 cents for children and 75 cents for adults.
Back: Available days in April 2001