Day in history for April 17, 2001
- 1876 -- 125 years ago
- The C.J. Caffrey brought down a raft of lumber this afternoon for Weyerhaeuser And Denkmann.
- 1901 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island's baseball team left for a week's practice on the University of Iowa's grounds at Iowa City.
- 1926 -- 75 years ago
- M.E. Streiter was elected president of the reorganized Rock Island chamber of commerce in the first meeting of the newly elected board of directors.
- 1951 -- 50 years ago
- Two firemen were injured early today while battling a stubborn blaze at the Hackner Tire warehouse, 521 W. 2nd St., Davenport, which resulted in an estimated loss of more than $100,000. The fire started shortly after 5 a.m. William Stegan, merchant policeman, discovered the blaze and turned in an alarm. Six of Davenport's eight fire companies were summoned to the blaze, and some off-duty policemen were called for traffic duty. The fire raged through the building for more than two hours before it was brought under control.
- 1976 -- 25 years ago
- Expansion of the Caterpillar Tractor Co. plant in Mount Joy will start next month. A manufacturing building of 585,000 square feet will be constructed first, followed by a receiving and shipping building of 212,000 square feet which will be constructed between the new and existing manufacturing buildings. Initial occupancy is planned for 1978 with manufacturing to begin in 1979. The expansion will enable some of the production of front-end loaders to be moved to the Davenport Works.
Back: Available days in April 2001